Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Answering the Call


The following is a modified email I recently sent to my family:

I have had a very interesting past couple of years. I got married and bought a house with my wonderful wife Sarah, I tried planting a church with a good friend of mine, I was promoted at work to the department head of engineering, and I have worried about my company going out of business. But one of the greatest things that has happened is that in the past few months I have been meeting with a couple of guys in accountability and discipleship. I have been challenged, and I have been examining my heart and where God wants me. I have been struggling with wanting to know what I have been called to do on this earth. One thing for sure is that I am called to live a life with Christ in his love, to Love God and to Love others, and to go and make disciples of men.

I think I have always known what it was that God has called me to do, but it's almost as if I kept avoiding the subject. I have never thought I was good enough, talented enough, or anywhere near what I think is the standard by which most people judge this calling. The truth is, I am right, but, God can use the least of us to do amazing things.

I was asked on a Friday night (May 29th) by a good friend of mine if I thought I was called to be a Pastor. My gut reaction to this question (that has never been asked of me FLAT out like that) was yes. So here I am, finally accepting the FACT that God can use me to do amazing things. I told Sarah this when I came home that night at 2 in the morning, and she asked me how I felt about that. I was honest with her and I will be honest with you. I told her I was scared. I am scared because I am trusting God but that is also why I am not hysterical, or quitting, God has given me the strength to face my fears and be a Pastor.

Now you may be asking, "Well if this is new to you then what was the whole church plant thing about?". Well when I had teamed up with my good friend Josh Burcham, I was joining him as the "creative arts pastor", to me that was just a fancy name for the guy that did the graphics and artwork and creative stuff for the Church. My Calling to be a pastor is more than that. I know now that I was no where near where I needed to be to help plant a church. I have learned so much in the past couple of years about me and my relationship with God and where I was and where I needed to be.

I have found that God has been speaking to me through My friends in my Monday night Bible study, the guys I meet with on Tuesdays, Sarah (of course), and my Family. These are people I trust, people I know are rooted in the gospel and have amazing relationships with God. So now I ask God. What do I do now? What is my next step?

I am asking for your prayer. Prayer that I might be patient in waiting for God to tell me what to do, prayer that I might be listening when He speaks to me, and prayer that I will be obedient to what He asks of me.

2 comments:

Josh Burcham said...

Stoked for you dude! Can't wait to see all God has planned as He uses you! Be strong and courageous! "Do not let this Book of Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful...Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go. Joshua 1:8-9

Josh

Unknown said...

That's so awesome, man!! I'll definitely be praying for you...keep it up and stay strong!