Thursday, June 18, 2009

Christian Music (part II)


You know I realized today as I re-read my last post that... I may have come across the wrong way. I am simply saying that I do not like the Contemporary style of Christian music. Much in the same way I do not like the Country style of secular music.


The issue for me is that the Contemporary style is what is being represented AS Christian music. There are other good bands/groups out there, but it seems that we (as Christians) bring forward this very cheesy... almost fake side of Christian music. That style of music conjures up a picture in my head that Christians are hypocritical, or ridiculously out of touch with reality*. It also makes me wonder what non-Christians think of us. I know of a few good bands and I want to know what else is out there. I know I came across harsh, it was the heat of the moment. I hope this explains a bit more of my frustration.

*the reality being, we live in a harsh imperfect world and we have peace and joy through Christ despite our circumstances. It's like they are in a bubble of happy land and are only willing to share that with themselves. I personally believe that a non-Christian would be more willing to listen to someone they can relate to, and I personally want to be all things to all people for the Glory of God. 1 Corinthians 9:22

please note that I realize this is a sweeping generalization and there are of course exceptions.

No comments: