Tuesday, January 29, 2008

CMYK and me

WARNING: Lot's of graphic art geek talk ahead


For those of you that don't know CMYK are the four colors commonly used in printing, professionally printing. C-cyan (a blueish color), M-magenta (a purplish color), Y-yellow (a bannanaish color) and K-Black (like your soul!!! j/k). Ok with that technicality out of the way, I had an experience the other day where I needed to send some artwork to a printer. This printer, upon review of my first submission, told me it would be better to use a 2 color process for this particular job (thus eliminating one of the 4 colors commonly used, in this case M&Y). He then requested that I send him a file in EPS or PDF format that had only Cyan and Black or Black and a spot color (a color from the Pantone Matching System). So I did my darnedest to figure out how to get my cool brushed steel effect and logo overlay done in this cool gunmetal blue. Well to cut the story short I was accused of sending him a file that had locked channels and needed to send him a file with unlocked channels. I searched the Internet looking for how to unlock channels. Couldn't find anything. Anyway I ended up removing all traces of M and Y from my artwork, and low and behold M and Y were hiding out in my black mixture. AH HA I said to my self. So after I eradicated yellow and magenta from every inch of my 24x36 monstrosity, I sent him the file in EPS format with the Yellow and Magenta channels deleted from the Channels palette, just to make sure. I haven't heard anything from this guy in 2 days. I guess no news is good news.


I have no reason or purpose to tell that story. Only to document a great victory, I will look back upon this post and say again "AH HA" and laugh... because I'll probably get a call a half an hour before I have to go home from this guy telling me to fix it and resend it!


PS. I hate doing pre-press setup crap!

2 comments:

Josh Burcham said...

What were you printing that they wanted a color taken out? That just sounds weird, specially if they wanted PDF, Adobe would break them down for you. Cool that you figured it out though.

John said...

It was artwork that had a repeating pattern that was going to be screen printed on this cardboard stuff to be used as packaging backer.